Wednesday, December 10, 2008

for fear of sounding cocky.

so i've debated about making this a post for fear of sounding cocky, but either way here it is... i was pretty much awesome the past 48 hours, which is a big deal because it is the last week of classes and it is sometimes hard to be awesome when you need to be the most... anyways it all started yesterday at 9:00 a.m.

a) i had my senior seminar poster presentation

  1. i had to dress up (and i looked smokin')
  2. i had to make an APA formal poster presentation to the whole psychology department where i present my senior thesis and they can question me on anything that they want (similar to a doctoral paper defense but not nearly as scary)
  3. i had to stand in the campus center and do this for two solid hours
  4. i owned it! the chair of the psychology department loved my topic and my proposal for research and we are going to run in next semester.
  5. he also loved the aesthetic part of my poster as well.


b) little shit is not going to pass fyi

  1. i met with my boss and she told me that i did everything perfectly.
  2. she said that little shit should not, would not pass fyi.
  3. i have to turn in a detailed report as to how he did not pass


c) i have an awesome internship next semester

  1. after my poster session i ran into dr. stegen who told me that he had an internship that he thought i would be perfect for.
  2. it is in downtown buffalo with hope refugee services.
  3. they will provide me with an apartment in downtown buffalo for no additional cost and cover the cost of gas
  4. hope refugee services
  5. he (dr. stegen) brags about me to others...

i. Chuck, Good news! I have just talked with a prospective intern for Hope. Jacquelyn (Jackie) Shaw

is a senior Psychology and Intercultural major who is interested in obtaining 6 hours of practicum credit.

She already has classes here on Tuesday and Thursday, so she would be able to work on Monday and

Fridays. Although she has a car and housing in the flats down here I told her to consider staying up there

on weekends at times. I told her we could probably make the same sort of housing arrangements for her

as we did for Daniel Fukumoto. She is excellent interpersonally. This year she was the FYI leader

who I worked with as Mentor, and she developed a great rapport with the students. Also, she had

the school practicum at Fillmore Central School that Daniel will be in this Spring. She knows Daniel and

has heard how much he learned and enjoyed the Hope experience. Pass this on to Bonnie and have her

email me. I am crafting email to all Psych. and Soc. students to see if we can interest anyone else. - Rich



d) i had a great night of sleep

  1. i slept for 8 hours, IN MY BED


e) i got complemented by a five year old

  1. "miss. jackie, i have a question!"
  2. "yes sarah, what is your questions?"
  3. "you're really beautiful"


f) i helped a disadvantaged child learn to read and built her self-confidence

  1. katlyn is a first grader who should be a second grader who has a very, very hard time with reading comprehension.
  2. she also struggles with the confidence to read out loud
  3. i have been working one on one with her all semester
  4. today she commented on her progress and how she could remember more and more of the story.
  5. i showed her first story recall and then compared it to the last we one did today (which was a massive improvement)
  6. "miss. jackie, i'm a better reader because you've helped me so much"
  7. she also didn't want to stop reading today


g) my supervisor loved me

  1. she was very sad that today was my last day at school
  2. she was very, very pleased with my work
  3. she offered to write a glowing letter of recommendation for grad school/job


h) my social psychology prof praised me

  1. "jackie, you're really coming into your own identity as a psychologist. you should go to grad school because it's very exciting to see where you're going to go. where ever it is, you will succeed"


i) i made awesome chicken for dinner.

  1. lemon-italian herb-parmesan chicken


j) i was an awesome friend to a friend who needed someone to listen

1 comment:

Pamela said...

All I have to say is that I am completely NOT SURPRISED BY THIS AT ALL.

Because?

You rock. And you look smokin' when you're in jeans and a t-shirt. So there.