Monday, January 19, 2009

what's in a name?

i've had a lot of names placed on me this past week. bitter. heartless. over analytical. hardened. just naming a few. a lot of these terms have come from various members of my family and they will tell you (i'm assuming) that this "new" outlook on life has developed as a result of my ending of my last romantic relationship, six months ago.

however this is not true. i say that your bitterness is my safety. your heartless is my realist. your over analytical is my thoughtfulness. your hardened is my wiser. and this is in no way a "new" outlook, if anything it is an old outlook. one that i'm dragging out of the closet (like neon colors from the 80's/90's) and re-wearing because they just fit better.

i realize that i cannot please everyone, there will always be labels on me that are not flattering or pleasant, but what is it that makes me deserving of names? i was a little shocked to hear them, especially coming out in such abundance. i am not like shakespeare's katherine, in taming of the shrew; a women who is "sharp-tongued, quick-tempered, and prone to violence, practically against anyone who tries to marry her." nor am i like meyer's bella, twlight's poor excuse for a heroin, a girl who is catatonic and practically dead because she cannot have her edward.

i am happy with the way things are. i do not need a relationship to confirm things about me. i do not need to have someone else to think about just so that i'll stop thinking of him. i'm doing alright and while i understand that these words may just be concern, do not be worried for me. there are big things in store and it will all come together in good time. until then, maybe we can keep the negative words to a minimum and maybe only use them in times of necessity?

5 comments:

Pamela said...

well. someone's sounding bitter and crabby...

TEASING!!!

but really, someone born in the year of our lord 1987 has no place to talk about the 80's like she remembers it.

it all boils down to growing pains. it is the season of your life when all of your relationships are in flux, and unfortunately family often handle it the worst. hang in there.

you know where the free listening couch is.

twenty something said...

haha thanks for that. and i do love times spent on the free listening couch.

Jon Dayton said...

Your unpaid psychological consultants thing you're doing just fine. Go wit yer bad self!

Jill said...

Ouch, why and how could anyone say that about you.

But i do have to second what pamela said about this season in your life. Finishing up college and moving on to new things is so hard on the relationships not just your friends, but expecially the famn damily! Once you step out on those new legs of complete adulthood with a degree and plans for the future they will get over it.

Brother Snipes Mama said...

I second Pamela's comment about the 80's. I don't know who said these things but I can guess. I think the whole fam damily is gearing up for a life change and are trying to cope with it.